Tuesday 17 February 2009

White Rose... Almost there....

Oil on canvas, 16 x 16 inches

This is the first complete colour layer for this painting. Well, I guess it is sort of the 1 and a half colour layer - as I re-did a lot of the work I did last time! I changed the background colour totally, although it is fairly hard to see a major change in these photographs I think. It's now a lot more purple than red. I just felt that the colour scheme really wasn't working unfortunately, and had to have a rethink of the whole thing. It's meant that some of the shadow colours etc in the petals are a ways off where they should be - but I aim to correct that in the next layer. I did make a start on it today, but the previous colours are still having a huge influence, and will need to be covered a little more fully next time. At least that is one of the advantages of working in oils (and in layers!) - if I was trying to do that in watercolours or something, it would be impossible!
I'm still undecided at this point though, whether or not I prefer working in layers to painting directly, as I have done in the past. It's got its good points for sure, but I do love the immediacy of working directly, and the challenge of getting the colours (almost!) right first time. I'm not sure that I have the patience to work like this all of the time!

I haven't posted in a while - it was my birthday last week, and with my OH off work for that, not much gets done! I did get to spend the day of my birthday mooching around The National Gallery, and Tate Modern in London though, looking at amazing paintings, which was fantastic. I could quite happily do that all day, every day I think!

I did start work on 2 more, much smaller roses last week though - and shall post pictures once I've completed the next layer (second umber layer) - probably tomorrow, or the day after. I'm hoping to complete the first colour layer on the second rose tomorrow as well - I'm determined to get at least 4 finished by the end of the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment